There aren't any posts currently published in this category.
What are Seizures?
Seizures are a sudden change in brain electrical activity. However, these changes can cause noticeable symptoms, dramatic, or in some cases, no symptoms at all.
Theses attacks can be severe in which a person experiences violent shaking and loss of control. Besides, a mild attack can be a sign of a particular medical condition, that should be recognized.
Moreover, it is crucial to find medical attention because attacks can lead to an underlying medical condition. Also, it can lead to severe injury.
What are the types of Attacks?
ILAE (The International League Against Epilepsy) make reports that better describes the different types of epilepsy. According to them, there are two significant kinds are now called focal onset seizures and generalized onset seizures.
Focal onset epilepsy attacks
These attacks are also known as partial-onset attacks; they occur in the area of a brain. If you experience that you are getting epilepsy, however, it is known as focal aware epilepsy.
If someone is unaware and getting an attack, then it is known as focal impaired awareness epilepsy.
Generalized onset seizures
It is the type of distress that happens in both side of the brain. Among the more common type of generalized distress are tonic-clonic, absence, and atonic.
- Tonic-clonic: It is known as a grand mal condition that refers to muscle stiffing. In this attack, a person loses consciousness and get jerky arms and legs movements during the convulsions. However, due to this, a person may losses consciousness for a few minutes.
- Absence: It is also known as petit mal convulsions that last for only a few seconds. It may cause you to blink continuously or stare at one place. However, if any other person sees you, he might think that you are daydreaming.
- Atonic: This epilepsy is also known as drop attacks. In this condition, muscles suddenly go limp. Along with this, your head may nod, and the entire body falls to the ground. However, this attack likely lasts about 15 seconds.
What are the symptoms of having epilepsy?
A person may experience both of the attacks at the same time, or one can happen before one and another, they include both focal and generalized seizures. However, the symptoms can last for a few seconds or 15 minutes per attack.
In some of the cases, symptoms occur before attacks take place. These may include:
- an impromptu sense of fear or anxiousness
- a perception of being sick to the stomach
- a change in the conception
- a jerky action of the arms and legs that may cause to drop things
- an out of body response
- a severe headache
The main symptoms that indicate an attack is in course include:
- losing cognizance that may be followed by confusion
- An uncontrollable muscle spasms
- dropping or frothing at the mouth
- Falling or faintness
- a strange taste in your mouth
- clenching of the teeth
- biting your tongue
- A sudden, speedy eye movements
- producing strange noises, such as grunting
- losing command of bladder or bowel function
- A sudden mood changes
What are the effects of Seizures?
If someone got an attack and didn’t treated or diagnose it, which may become worse. However, that will also become progressive or longer in duration. Besides, an extremely long duration attack can lead to coma or death.
These life-threatening attacks may also cause injury such as falls or trauma to your body. It is helpful to wear a medical identification bracelet that will alarm before you have epilepsy.
How these attacks treated?
Although the treatments of attacks mainly depend upon the cause. By treating the cause of attacks, you may also be able to lessen the risk of future attacks. The treatment therapy of seizures due to epilepsy include:
- surgery to treat brain abnormalities
- nerve stimulation
However, with regular treatment, it can reduce or stop its symptoms.
Is Clonazepam is beneficial to treat seizures?
Clonazepam is an effective mediation to treat some types of seizures, epilepsy and other panic attacks. However, it is often taken with a combination of Depakote.
It is a prescription medication that prevents and control such attacks. Also, Clonazepam is known as an antiepileptic or anticonvulsant medication.